Monday, April 3, 2017

I learned in August I have Cancer.


2016 started out great! Nacho and I were doing a lot of walking, on track to walk over 600+ miles. On August 11th I learned I have "HER2" positive infiltrating ductal carcinoma with insufficient inflammatory components. The Nottingham grade 3 of 3 with a score 8 of 9. It's a fast growing form of cancer. Nacho and I spent time reinforcing his training. Before my scheduled surgery on September 16th for a Bilateral Mastectomy. The recovery was slow, walking with Nacho was the best therapy for me. We started out walking around the block, on the 25th we walked our first mile, I was even happier then Nacho Man was! By the time I started the infusion process, on the 20th of October. Nacho and I had walked 42 miles starting to feel good. 

Started the generic form of Herceptin Trastuzumab that uses a chemo-drug for delivery on October 20th. This will be done every three week's for one year. Normally this is used along with up to 4 other Chemo-drug's because of my m.s. doing that, would likely activate my immune system, causing a worst outcome. Very little research done on doing it this way, it was my only option  Being stage 2 and fast growing it's worth a shot.

Asked how would we know it's working? Doctor the cancer doesn't come back, the flip side is, if it comes back, there nothing else we can do. After Thursday I'll be half way done, have a few side effects drinking a lot of water helps. Doing blood test making sure my numbers are good. After my third treatment the vein's in my arms could not be used, so I had to have a port put in.
Nacho and I did walk 600 Miles in 2016, hope we can match that again this year.

Nacho the Santa dog!

I've found staying positive, is easier. When I look forward instead of looking over my shoulder. I don't want to trip over a small stone in front of me now!

6 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh I am so sorry for cancer. My sister had breast cancer, double also. I like your attitude about looking forward, I think it makes a big difference in the fight! Amazing how much you and Nacho walk!

Mary Mennenga said...

Thank's Kim, I'm able to roll faster than most people walk, I use a retractable leash with Nacho so he walks or runs further then I do. Nacho doesn't pull me, some times Nacho is walking next to me towards the end of our walk. In 2016 we were able walk all 12 month's of the year.

Karen said...

Keep staying positive, I think that is a key "drug" in the cancer battle. Hoping the best for you.

Mary Mennenga said...

Your right about the positive "drug" best part is it's free. Thanks Karen

Webster said...

i just found your blog and i think it is exceptional. sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis and double m. you should be done with tour year of chemo. it would be nice to have a brief update, if/when you are able. ihope you had a good outcome with it.

Mary Mennenga said...

Hi Webster, I just posted an update, I'm doing good. Thank's for your comment