Friday, June 21, 2013

The link I posted made me think

The link below is why I wrote this post.

How Facts Backfire


This does explain why many of us are so divided it doesn't matter what side you're on at all. The main message is our beliefs can dictate the facts we chose to accept. The reinforcement of our beliefs makes us more confident we're right, and even less likely to listen to any new information. I'm also guilty of doing this, I put a wall up between people I care about. It's a wall I'm not able knock down, I wish I could you see I am one of those people that without the help I've gotten from the United States Government I would have died over five years ago. I understand for some think it's not the same "those people didn't earn it! You did!" sorry I didn't in the eyes of government everyone is grouped within solid lines if a person put in 20 good years in the military they earned it, if a person like me put in 19 and a half years we didn't, the line must be drawn and it is at 20 good years. It's not something the government is able to do by a case by case measurement the cost is way too high. I live on social security disability it's not the same as social security because I stopped paying into it when I was 43 years old not 62, again the line must be drawn somewhere and it is. Many Americans feel that I am a freeloader living a carefree life off the government, they are not wrong. Because without the medical treatment I received from the V.A. I wouldn't be here today. It’s costing taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars every year just for me. Like most people I hear the Congress, calling people like me takers and a drain on or as a waste of government services and money, it does seem to be how many people feel it is one way of looking at. The reality for me every penny I get from S.S.D. is spent for bills, food and at just over 17 thousand dollars a year. Being a coupon and sale shopper helps. Money I save is then spent at a co-op for local produce and meat, I do like knowing I can visit the farms my food comes from and meet the animals, knowing they are treated well and care for. Free to roam in a field of grass and could choose to lay in the sun or shade. No pleasure was taken in ended the life of the animals it was done to provide a living for the farmer and the family. The cost is higher, the value and quality is better and worth the cost. At the end of each month my account is at or near empty, meaning all I was given went right back into the U.S. economy. Do I have or do anything of value to my neighborhood? I do keep my sidewalk clear of snow and keep an opening to the street, try to keep the drain clear so the melting snow goes down it in the winter. In the summer my grass is cut and trimmed, in the fall and spring I keep leafs out of the gutter so water can go to the drain. Having Multiple Sclerosis does limit what I’m able to do, so I do small acts of kindness whenever I’m able. It’s hard to listen and hear some people in the congress say that it’s partly my fault this country is in the trouble it’s in, because all I do is waste the taxpayer’s money. The only thing I can say to the taxpayer’s is every penny I get goes right back into the economy within 35 days. To the congress as whole you folks could help the entire country by being paid by the hour and letting taxpayer’s, vote if you should get a raise or a cut in pay! Back when I went to school I learned that the Bill of Rights, could only give right’s not take them away, true that was a long time ago, I don't think that’s changed. The U. S. Constitution stands as a model of cooperative statesmanship and the art of compromise. Maybe you could go back and start doing that.

No comments: